9.22.2006

sounds like music







Some of my friends and I have been doing a thing we call Listening Wednesdays... it's a monthly listening party. We just did the second installment and I think it's gonna stick. We rotate the venue between the participant's apartments. The only rules are that the host can't be the music curator, and that you have to play two or three full-length albums. Everyone is responsible for bringing food or beverage for the pot-luck style dinner. It's a fucking good time. Great food, great people, great music.

My friend Corey was sort of the brainchild behind the party. He works in the music industry and he thinks that the album format is in danger of becoming obsolete because of iTunes and MP3 players. He curated this week's party and played some great old albums... Digable Planets, "Reachin' (A New Refutation Of Time And Space)" and Tribe Called Quest, "Midnight Marauders". It was really cool to hear these albums in full again... they sound fresh still after 13 years and everyone enjoyed.

We also listened to the new Scissor Sisters... which I did not like on inital listening, but have now grown quite fond of. You should run out and gget it next week. I read somewhere yesterday that it sold 300,000 units in the UK in it's first week of release... Justin Timberlake only sold 90,000... it's gonna be big... at least in the UK. In this same vein, Coreey gave me the new DJ Shadow and also The Rapture's new album.. I've been listening to both non-stop... you should too. Buy them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a great idea! I've been wanting to put something similar together with my friends, but as a film night. Each time someone else picks an important piece of cinema that we wouldn't normally sit down and casually watch, and discuss it after. My question to you is, do you listen silently through the entire album, or do you talk about the music song by song?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

No.. we don't listen silently at all.. we eat, drink, talk and smoke.. the curator usually gives a little schpiel first saying why they chose the particular album... it's really just an excuse to hang-out :)

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I will probably come next time. And I'll bring something sweet and tasty, clearly.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

You have a standing invitation.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scissor Sisters: I picked up a copy, using you as a mental reference. It's like a flashback and jump forward. Like nothing I have heard in a while.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?